Saturday, August 16, 2008

Summer of 1989

Ok Chris I shall play your game....

I fairness i have tagged my Sister and 2 friends. I'm not sure the process but here it goes....

Oddly enough this was a big summer for me as I was heading out to join the Navy at the end of the summer. I was the only one of my friends not going to go to college and had no idea what I was getting into. I joined the Navy because I wanted to be different, I wanted something nobody else had done and it seemed like the fun thing to do at the time.

We graduated in May and after a little luck I got a diploma, that was signed (I just went and checked) and we started a great summer.

A bunch of us left jobs we had and started working at the Hilton in Danbury doing renovation work, not sure who or why but is was fun all of us working together. Up to that point the guys I hung out with all had separate jobs, at any rate we spent most of time there and then went over to my friend George's pool.

Then came July, for some reason my parents left me and my sister home alone for 2 week in July, They did the previous summer and we had a few big parties but this was the bash to end all bashes. We got good at what we did, taking pictures and video of the house to make sure it was going to look like it did when my parents got back, and we even figured out ways to turn a hefty profit. Someone would finance the party for us and then after the profits from the first party it would sustain us for the summer to keep funding future parties. Oddly enough I never went into business but looking back, maybe I should have. Anyway, The parties were huge, infact I had kids from all areas in my home town going, it go so big it became the standard for others to gauage sucess. I remember kids from all over wanted to come to the parties, looking back I should be thankful nobody got hurt and how stupid I was. I would lock my daughters away for good if they ever pulled a stunt like that but I was young and dumb...

These parties were so good, that I wound up hospitalized less than 3 weeks before I was to join the Navy. I got poisoned by drinking beer that was skunked.. I think that was the only thing from keeping me from gettting kicked out of the house. Then came September 5th, most of my friends went to school and I went to Orlando for 4 months and on to Great Lakes where I started my life in the Navy.

3 comments:

overtly trite said...

ok smarty butt consider yourself tagged on either foodie or quirk memes or both if you are bored and have nothing else to do with you time..like me evidently :)

Chris Curtin said...

Okay, that was a lot cleaner than what I thought you'd put down.

24 hours in the car with Pat and I heard A LOT of stories about that 2 week period.

Chris

overtly trite said...

didn't you know he's respectable now?