Sunday, June 8, 2008

Busy Saturday



What a busy Saturday..

It started as always, the cadets singing at 0500. I mean come on every day? It worked out because I had to get up early because the class was going to Boston to see the USS Constitution. For those of you not familiar with her, she is the oldest seagoing warship in the world. Built in 1797 she is impressive to see, when you realize she is a piece of living history. Well our class made it up to the compound just in time for colors and then we got an extensive tour of the ship. I think my favortite part is getting to see the CO's bathroom. The way it works is, he has a room off of his stateroom with a view, but this is where it gets interesting. If you are working over the side I guess you could see the man do his business. Anyway...


After we got back from our bus ride to Boston, I ventured out to leave the base for a first time in a week. With school taking so much time, the only time I see myself leaving is the weekends. SO I went to Narragansett where my Uncle lived for a time when we were kids. It was so cool seeing places I remember from my childhood. Clam cakes, taste the same as they do from almost 30 years ago, and places I remember as kid immediately flashed back to me when I saw them yesterday.

The only thing I really missed was having Dawn with me. I love my wife so very much and it sucks being away from her for long periods of time. If my math is correct I don't have to many more long trips away from her in my Naval career. But one thing I learned from her was the art of people watching. I could go with her anywhere and sit and just watch people, sounds boring know but trust me until you have done it with my wife you haven't done it. Anyway there is a sea wall in Newport on the Ocean and you could literally sit for hours and watch people go by and soak up the sun.

It's Sunday here, and after a trip to mass and Dunkin Donuts for a bagel and coffee I am back in my room getting ready for to do some reading for class and relax. Next week I fly to Chicago to see the kids going through bootcamp and get a sneak peak at my new command. I can't wait.

No comments: